They say the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. I have taken my one step. It’s tiny, but I’ve taken it.
OK, I can see how checking the fuses can hardly be counted as the first step in the restoration process, but the thing is; I am doing SOMETHING. Sure, I can’t replace the diff right now. It’s too expensive. And I can’t afford a new firewall. But I can afford a few fuses. The problem I’ve had up to now is that the job of restoring this beautiful beast of burden is a daunting one. It’s going to take many man hours and copious amounts of my hard-earned money to do. So I’ve just sat and stared at my noble steed in her ramshackle state and said, “ag, it’s just too much, I can’t do it.” Bollocks! I’ve changed the fuses now. It has begun. This elephant is going to take ages to eat, but I’ve taken the first bite, and I’ll keep on chewing.
So here’s what I did:
The main fuse box is located in the engine bay, mounted on the firewall.
None did in this case.
Since none of the fuses in the engine bay were blown, I needed to check the fuse in the cabin. This is a little more difficult than the main fuse box. Not difficult at all, but not as easy at a finger screw right at chest height. 😉
The ignition fuse is attached to the ignition switch. To get to the ignition switch you have to remove the entire dashboard.
This is it. This is the entire dashboard. 😀
Once you have taken out the 3 screws and 2 bolts, the dashboard simply flips out.
These two photos show the old broken fuse and the new 20A replacement:
Now since the old fuse didn’t look broken to the naked eye, I took a photo to show how the end cap had detached:
To finish up day one, I move the Land Rover to her new parking space and wrapped her up snugly in case we have some more bad weather.
‘Til next my old friend…